Friday, February 3, 2012

When I Grow Up

I never made it to med school. May not seem like a big deal to most, but when you spend years believing that was what you were going to do with your life then it never materializes, it can be a bit jarring.

More than anything, it left me wondering what I was going to do with myself. That was a scary feeling. No way would I ever be content running the nine to five gauntlet I was caught up in, and no actual profession held any allure to justify taking a school loan. Then a conversation with my mom made it so simple and clear:

"You always liked writing, why don't you just do that?"

Huh. Never really thought like that.

"That lady that wrote those Harry Potter books is doing well for herself. Maybe that could be you."

Uhhh, definitely never thought like that and still don't, but I'm content knowing my mom believes I have that kind of power over the masses. I'm eternally grateful for her epiphany and her high regard for my less than talented talents.

Which brings us to this little blog. No, I don't plan on conquering the publishing world via blog, or even being a "blogger." Global warming would sky rocket from the overworked servers trying to keep up with my onslaught of opinions. The purpose here is to hold myself accountable to actually producing something. Too often I freeze up at the sight of a blank screen with a wicked blinking cursor and worry that what I have to say won't come across as lyrical on the page as it is in my brain.
Not a very effective business plan.

In addition to holding myself at creative gun point, I'm facing a monstrous fear of judgment from people I know. I know some ruthless people, and can think of several who may find their way here and not "get it." If I can get past the snide comments and general disapproval from those soulless bastards, then editors, reviewers and other publishing entities might not seem so earth shattering.

So, this will be home to short pieces of prose and possibly the occasional feedback about a book or something valuable about the writing world. I can't say what I will write about just yet as I rarely expect the stories that sneak up on me, but the point is they made it to the page for you to read.

A warning to the sensitive suzies, humor impaired and those in desperate need of a rectal evacuation of the pole up their backside: I have a twisted little mind, a warped sense of humor and usually don't have a conservative opinion concerning some issues that scare the hell out of people. I don't plan on getting all political or anything, just wanting to give you a chance to run while you can.

Oh, and I swear. Not to be offensive, but sometimes nothing will do other than a fierce expletive.

If that doesn't chase you away, then you are probably don't have the personality of a soggy bowl of shredded wheat and I'm glad you're here. Don't be shy, tell me what you think. That means the good and the bad. A valuable response won't just leave it at "I liked it" or "You seriously need to consider a new path in life because you suck." Tell me what it was about it that gave you that opinion.

Most important of all is just that you read. A writer without an audience is simply a nut job talking to a wall. Just let me know you are here now and again.

7 comments:

  1. I'm here :) and I will gladly give you feedback - just give me a heads up when you have a new posting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm here! First off change your hear to here in the last line unless you were trying to be creative there... ;-)

    So glad you posted! I have ideas for mutual fictional encouragement...maybe we could have someone suggest a topic and both of us have to write a short piece, prose, poetry, song lyrics, whatever....and post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have comments and followers! How exciting! And thanks for the catch mamabear! I like the topic suggestion. Was thinking of making that a weekly thing on a set day, but there's that fear of commitment thing. It would be awesome to drag a companion along on my journey. Still working out all the details in my head (its a mess up there), but will set some order to this place soon.

    Thanks to all of you for being here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well you have been witness to the jumble in my head for years, it's okay to have a busy brain. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww! I adore your persona and opinions! That's why I always ask you for them. I'm proud of you. I'm sure there are more sick bastards out there to find your writing amusing, comical and worthwhile!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard someone say sick bastard..... so here I am!! Fashionably late as usual .....I am soooo excited to read your whimsical writing!!! I think you are off to a very good start and you certainly have me compelled to come back. In truth, I came here the very night you sent me an e-mail about it but refrained from posting as I had to gather all my excitement as not to emotionally vomit. ;) I am back now to formally cheer you on, really soak it all in and to see if you have posted anything new. :) It's only been 9 days and I'm already getting pushy! I am so proud of you and look forward to following your caffeine fueled rants!! Oh how I have missed them!!!

    ReplyDelete